Saturday, January 14, 2012

Swedish Meatballs in a White Cream Sauce

By no means am I a good cook, or a cook at all for that matter. Sometimes I will try out recipes just for fun, but usually it requires motivation.

But can you say yum? I was a little hesitant at first but they turned out pretty good. I made some egg noodles so put the sauce and meatballs over and it was delish together. I modified the recipe slightly fitting it to the needs of my pantry.

Meatballs
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup 2% Milk (I forgot to add this but the meatballs came out pretty good anyways)
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup Quaker oatmeal cook in 1 minute
1/4 cup fresh parsley (I used a little less of the dry stuff)
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

First in a large bowl mix hamburger meat with egg, milk, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, oats, parsley, salt & pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix with hands. Shape into 1 to 11/2 balls. Sift flour over each one, and place on greased (Pam) cookie sheet.

Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Turn meatballs; bake 12-15 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink.

Sauce
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
salt and pepper to taste
1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth (low sodium)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (again I used the dry stuff)

Meanwhile, for the sauce, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour, marjoram, salt, and pepper until smooth. Gradually add broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Now my sauce didn't really thicken to the consistency I wanted so I added a little corn starch, and water.
While cooking the sauce I cooked my egg noodles that I was going to serve under the meatballs and sauce. I get tired of the same old same old noodles. So I made a little sauce for the noodles.

8 ounces uncooked wide egg noodles
3 tablespoons butter
1 garlic clove, minced (I used garlic powder)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dill weed

I melted the butter, and then added the rest of the ingredients. I added it to my cooked noodles.
Finally I put everything together on the plate, and added a touch of parsley for the top.

So good! This is one of the few recipes I have made that I will definitely be making again. It was easy with simple ingredients. Also not very expensive if you already have most of the seasonings. I would have preferred a little more sauce so next time I may double the sauce ingredients.

Bon' Appetit!